Little Cookhouse is a baking studio for children that’s not just a baking studio. It’s a Montessori-based bake-and-cook enrichment program designed for children between 3 to 12 years old to learn values and life skills. Children are grouped according to age groups, with age-appropriate tools that they can handle. Each 1.5 to 2 hour lesson has a maximum class size of 8.
Started by parents Yock Song and Jean, Little Cookhouse aims to provide an exciting and fun learning environment while letting the child develop essential life skills. Prior to opening the studio, they conducted cooking classes for children from home.
The studio is bright, with full length windows that allow natural sunlight to illuminate the area. Right in front of the door is a stand that resembles a popcorn booth. There are long stools for the younger children to reach the sink area themselves to wash their hands.
Before the start of the session, the children will gather at the table, where instructor Jean will introduce the country related to the creation of the day. As we were making sushi cakes, Jean taught them some simple Japanese greeting phrases, the main regions of Japan and some Japanese food.
The kids for our session were aged 3 to 6 years old and the ingredients were already measured and laid out in IKEA children’s cups. Emmett tagged along and Jean allowed him to use her demonstration set to practise pouring and mixing! Look at their serious faces. Each step was clearly demonstrated and explained before the kids got to work. Both Yock Song and Jean went around to facilitate children who required help but it was mostly all done by the children themselves.
Emmett loved being part of the process and he took his tasks seriously! Elise has somewhat of a competitive streak and powered through most of the tasks herself.
After pouring the batter into moulds and popping them into the oven, it was time to wait. Instead of whiling away, the children were taught how to create simple origami crowns which they could wear on their heads. By the way, edible pencils were used to label each child’s cakes! This shows how much importance they place on safety.
Back to work!
Cutting out shapes from the cakes without them breaking into bits proved to be a bit challenging for Elise and she required assistance, which Yock Song promptly provided. The next few steps were to spread buttercream, arrange the chocolate pieces on top of the cakes, wrap cocoa crepes around the edges, pipe gel onto the “sushi” and put jelly bits on top of the gunkan maki sushi.
Anddddd we’re done!
Not too shabby for a first timer, right? I was expecting it to be overwhelmingly sweet, but the sushi cakes were surprisingly palatable! Only two pieces of sushi made it out of the baking studio intact.
You can book classes one-off or purchase a 4-session pass at a discount!
Alexandra Central Mall (Next to IKEA Alexandra)
321 Alexandra Road, #02-11 Singapore 159971
Tues-Fri: 10:00am – 6:00pm | Sat-Sun 10:00am – 9:00pm
Closed on Mondays
Giveaway & Discount Code
How to Join
Win a class pass for your child and one accompanying adult!
- Two passes to be won, one each on Facebook and Instagram. Join both to increase your chances! Winner will be randomly picked.
- Contest ends 10th July 2019
- Passes are valid till 31st August 2019. Winner can choose any class of their choice to attend, subject to confirmation from Little Cookhouse
- This giveaway is not affiliated with Facebook or Instagram
1. Like both Bibimbubs and Little Cookhouse on Facebook
2. Like and share the Facebook post on Bibimbubs with the giveaway photo above (set to Public so I can choose a winner from the share list)
3. Which is your favourite class in the July Class Schedule? Tag a minimum of 5 friends together with your answer! Please only comment once (answer and tags in one comment)
1. Follow @bibimbubs & @littlecookhouse
2. Go to this post on IG
3. Which is your favourite class in the July Class Schedule? Tag a minimum of 5 friends, one tag per comment
4. Share the post on your IG stories (Tag @bibimbubs so I can see it) for additional chances
Use code myfirsttrial for 5% off! Valid for first-time participants. Code expires 30 September 2019.